53-Year-Old Woman Dies While Waiting for Cash Aid in Quezon City

QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES: A 53-year-old Filipina woman died after collapsing while waiting for financial assistance at Quezon City Hall, prompting the local government to review safety protocols for activities held within the area.

According to the Quezon City government, the woman, a resident of Barangay Sauyo, lost consciousness and hit her head while queuing for payout under the Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS) program on Tuesday. The incident happened at the Risen Garden inside Quezon City Hall.

Incident at AICS Payout Area

Emergency responders from the Quezon City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office immediately attended to the woman after she collapsed. She was then brought to East Avenue Medical Center for treatment.

The city government said the woman died a few minutes later despite the efforts of the hospital’s medical team.

The incident drew attention to crowd safety and emergency readiness during public assistance activities, especially those attended by large numbers of residents seeking financial aid.

City Hall to Review Safety Measures

In a statement, the Quezon City government said it would review the implementation of protocols for all activities conducted by different organizations within the City Hall vicinity.

The local government said the review would focus in particular on safety measures to ensure that existing procedures are enough for all participants. The move comes in the wake of the woman’s death while waiting in line for aid distribution.
Officials did not provide further details on whether immediate changes would be introduced, but the city said the review would cover activities regularly held at City Hall.

Assistance for the Family

The Quezon City government also expressed sympathy to the woman’s family and said burial assistance had already been extended.
It added that the victim’s youngest child would be referred for possible inclusion in the city’s scholarship program. The local government said it is continuing to coordinate with the family to determine what other support may still be given.

The death of the aid recipient has placed focus on the conditions surrounding public assistance payouts and the need for stronger safety arrangements at government venues.

For now, Quezon City officials say the priority is to assist the bereaved family and assess existing protocols to help prevent similar incidents during future activities at City Hall.