Philippines – A 72-year-old Canadian national was arrested in Santa Rosa City, Laguna, after Philippine immigration authorities flagged him for immigration violations and concerns tied to child safety. The Bureau of Immigration said the operation forms part of its broader effort to strengthen border security and protect vulnerable communities.
Bureau of Immigration Cites Official Report
According to a press release from the Bureau of Immigration, the foreign national was arrested on the evening of June 30 in Barangay Caingin, Santa Rosa City, Laguna by operatives of the agency’s Fugitive Search Unit. The BI identified him as Orville Frank Mader and said the operation was carried out in coordination with Canadian authorities and several Philippine intelligence and law enforcement agencies.
The bureau said Canadian authorities alerted Philippine officials after confirming that the man’s Canadian passport had been cancelled. While the report noted that he is not currently facing criminal prosecution in Canada, authorities there shared information indicating a documented history of offenses involving minors abroad and warned that he could pose a possible risk to children.
Overstaying Foreigner to Face Deportation Proceedings
Based on BI records, Mader last entered the Philippines on Sept. 29, 2015 as a temporary visitor.1 Authorities said he remained in the country without securing a subsequent extension of stay, making him an undocumented and overstaying foreign national under Philippine immigration rules.
Because of this, he was taken into BI custody and is set to undergo deportation proceedings for violating Philippine immigration laws.
Immigration Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado said the government would not allow foreign nationals considered a threat to families and children to remain in the country. He added that protecting Filipino families remains one of the bureau’s priorities as it continues to strengthen enforcement through its #ShieldKids campaign.
BI Calls for Public Vigilance
The Bureau of Immigration also commended its Fugitive Search Unit for prioritizing cases involving foreign nationals with concerning records tied to child abuse and exploitation. The agency said close coordination with local and international partners remains key in locating, arresting and removing violators’ from communities.
Officials likewise urged the public to report suspected cases involving child exploitation or foreign nationals who may pose a danger to minors. The BI said such reports can help support the government’s ongoing child protection efforts under the #ShieldKids campaign.
The latest arrest highlights the Philippine government’s continuing push to tighten border monitoring and act on intelligence shared by international partners, especially in cases that may affect the safety of children and local communities.
