US Strikes Iran After Attack on Cyprus-Flagged Cargo Ship; Strait of Hormuz Shut Down

USA – The conflict between Washington and Tehran has escalated sharply after the US military hit Iranian targets, responding to an attack on a commercial container ship in one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.

According to a news report, the strikes came after Iran fired on the M/V GFS Galaxy, a Cyprus-flagged container ship. The vessel suffered heavy engine-room damage, and one civilian crew member remains missing.

US Strikes Iran After Attack on Cyprus-Flagged Cargo Ship; Strait of Hormuz Shut Down

What Triggered the Strikes

US Central Command said President Donald Trump ordered the attacks, which began at 7:15 p.m. ET on Saturday. This followed Trump’s decision to declare the collapse of a ceasefire meant to stop fighting that the US and Israel started earlier this year.

Iran defended its actions, saying the ship ignored warnings and traveled through an unapproved route. Tehran also warned that any US retaliation would face a “severe response.”

Strait of Hormuz Closed

Iran declared the Strait of Hormuz shut until, in its words, the “end of US interference in this region.” The move carries serious weight for the global economy:

  • The waterway once handled one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies.
  • Energy prices have already surged, stoking fears of higher inflation and slower growth worldwide.
  • Rising fuel costs add pressure on the US president ahead of November’s congressional elections.

Gulf States Under Fire

The violence quickly spread across the region. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claimed they wiped out a command center and drone hangars at a base in Jordan. Meanwhile:

  • The UAE said its air defenses engaged Iranian missiles and drones.
  • Qatar reported intercepting a missile attack.
  • Warning sirens rang across Bahrain.
  • Explosions were heard in Doha.

Iranian state media also reported blasts in several port cities.

Tehran Vows Revenge

Iran’s new supreme leader, Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, released a written statement pledging to “avenge the blood of the martyred leader.” The message honored his predecessor and father, killed in the war’s opening attacks. He has not appeared in public since the fighting began.

Talks Still on the Table

Despite the flare-up, diplomacy has not stopped. Oman is mediating, and sources say Iran, the US, Qatar, and Pakistan agreed to arrange negotiations. Iranian and Omani officials met to discuss safe passage for ships through the strait, with talks set to continue at both technical and political levels.

For Filipinos working across the Gulf, the situation remains one to watch closely as tensions and travel risks climb.