Samar is a great place for retirees who want to live somewhere quiet and cheap. With the low cost of living, seniors can make their money go further and live in comfort. Samar is also known for its beautiful natural beauty, which includes clean beaches, waterfalls, and mountains that offer a lot of places to relax and play outside.
The warm and friendly people who live there are another reason why people should think about living there. People in Samar are known for being welcoming and friendly to people from other countries. This makes it easy for retirees to make new friends and feel at home in their new town. Samar is also a safe place to live, with low rates of crime and a close-knit society. Making it a great place to retire and here are the best reasons why you should!
1. Plenty of greenery and natural wonders
Samar has a lot of natural beauty, like mighty mountains, stunning waterfalls, beautiful beaches, and unspoiled woods. If you live in Samar, it’s easy to get to these beautiful places that offer a lot of ways to have fun and rest outside. Here are some places in Samar that older people should visit!
- Sohoton Natural Bridge National Park- It is known for its amazing rock formations and caves, as well as its beautiful lake. Seniors can take a boat ride around the lake and see the natural beauty of the park.
- San Juanico Bridge- The San Juanico Bridge joins the islands of Samar and Leyte. It is the longest bridge in the Philippines. From the bridge, retirees can see beautiful views of the water and the islands around them.
- Calbiga Caves- The Calbiga Caves are a network of limestone caves that are home to unique rock forms and underground rivers. Seniors can take a guided tour of the caves and see how beautiful nature is in this unusual place.
- Tarangban Falls- It is a beautiful waterfall in Catbalogan City. It is called Tarangban Falls. People who are retired can swim in the cool water and look at the beautiful forest around them.
2. Affordable cost of living
The cost of living in Samar is low compared to other big cities in the Philippines. Housing, transportation, and basic goods are cheaper, which makes it easier to handle money and live well. It makes it attractive to retirees who are keen on having a budget!
3. Friendly people
The people of Samar are known for being warm and welcoming, always ready to greet tourists with a smile. Living in Samar means being surrounded by friendly people who are always willing to help. For example, the people who live in this little paradise called Bobon are very kind, helpful, and willing to work with you. They catch fish and lobsters, climb trees to get coco nuts, pili nuts, and fruits, take you swimming and snorkeling and on river trips, take them to waterfalls and caves, and do a lot more.
4. Plenty of festivals, culture, and history
Samar has a lot of festivals, traditions, and handicrafts that show off its rich cultural history. Samar is known for its bright parades and lively street parties during its festivals. People who are retired can enjoy the party scene and take part in the festivities. Samar has a long and important past. During the Philippine Revolution and World War II, it was an important part of Philippine history. When you live in Samar, you are surrounded by historical places and landmarks that tell you about the country’s past.
Living in Samar means being part of a community that is active, diverse, and proud of its past and customs. Samar is a mix of different cultures and traditions, which makes it a great place for people who are used to living abroad and want to try new things and learn about other ways of life. Samar is known for its rich culture and customs. Throughout the year, the province holds many festivals. Here are some of Samar’s most famous celebrations:
- The Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival- This festival is held every June in Tacloban City, which is not too far from Samar. It is a celebration of the cultural history of the area, and traditional dances, street parties, and bright costumes are part of it.
- The Binaybayon Festival- It is held every July in the town of Naval on the island of Biliran, which is next to Samar. The festival is a celebration of the town’s patron saint. There are street dances, parades, and cultural acts.
- Tandayag Festival- Every August, the Tandayag Festival takes place in the town of Tarangnan, Samar. The town’s founding anniversary is being celebrated with an event that includes street dancing, parades, and cultural shows.
5. Delicious food
Samar’s cuisine is a mix of different styles, so each dish is special and tastes great. There is always something new to try and enjoy, from seafood to meat and veggies. Here are some of Samar’s most famous foods:
- Binagol- It is a sweet treat made by mixing chopped taro with coconut milk, sugar, and eggs. It is wrapped in banana leaves and steamed until done.
- Moron- A sweet rice cake made by wrapping rice in banana leaves and cooking it over charcoal. It is made with sticky rice, coconut milk, and sugar, and is often eaten as a snack or dessert.
- Suman- This is a type of rice cake that is made by cooking sticky rice in coconut milk and wrapping it in banana leaves. It’s often eaten as a snack or with hot chocolate.
- Hinatukan- Hinatukan is a fish soup made with onion, ginger, garlic, and coconut milk. It is a common dish in Samar and is often served with rice that has been steamed.
- Kinilaw- Kinilaw is a dish made of raw seafood or fish that has been simmered in vinegar and spices. It’s similar to ceviche and is often served as a starter.
6. Peaceful living
Samar is a province that is quiet and peaceful, so it is a great place to go to get away from the busy city. Living in Samar means having a slower pace of life and a less stressful place to live.
7. Strong sense of community
Samar’s small, close-knit communities give people a sense of belonging and support that is hard to find in bigger places. Living in Samar means being part of a group of people who look out for each other and care about each other.
Samar has several universities and colleges that offer high-quality education and training in a variety of areas. If you live in Samar, you can use these places and the chances they offer. Samar’s efforts to improve the level of education mean that retirees can continue to learn throughout their lives. Educational institutions in Samar offer programs for adults, classes, and workshops that retirees can sign up for.
This lets them keep learning new things, learning new skills, and keeping their minds busy. People who retire with a lot of knowledge and experience can give back to the community by becoming teachers or helping out in schools. They can teach kids what they know, give them advice, and help with educational projects. This lets retired people give back to the community and make a good difference in the lives of young learners.
9. Helps you be active as a retiree
Samar is known for its beautiful beaches, waterfalls, mountains, and woods, among other natural features. People who are retired can take advantage of these natural attractions by hiking, swimming, snorkeling, watching birds, and visiting the countryside. The natural beauty of the province makes it easy for retired people to stay busy and live a healthy lifestyle.
The province is home to towns that are warm and friendly. Seniors have the chance to meet local people and get involved in community events. Samar’s cultural history and customs give people chances to take part in festivals, events, and volunteer projects, which helps them feel like they belong and have a purpose.
10. Growing economy
Samar’s economy is growing fast, thanks to its tourism, agriculture, and other businesses. Living in Samar means being a part of a strong, growing economy with many job and business possibilities.
Samar has rich land and a lot of water, which makes it a good place for farming and fishing. The province grows rice, corn, cocoa, abaca, and root crops, among other things. The agricultural industry is a big part of what keeps the local economy going and gives people a way to make a living. There are also nature attractions in the province that could bring in tourists. There are beautiful beaches, waterfalls, caves, and scenery among these. Efforts to build tourism infrastructure and market Samar as a tourist destination have helped the tourism industry grow, which has brought in money and created jobs.
Infrastructure Development: In Samar, the growth of the economy has been helped by the improvement of infrastructure. Putting money into the province’s road networks, bridges, and transportation systems has made it easier for people and things to move around. Infrastructure improvements bring in more companies and help trade and commerce grow.
11. Transportation is accessible
Samar is easy to get to by land, air, and sea, making it easy to move in and out of the province. When you live in Samar, you have easy access to transportation for work and for fun. Samar has a good way to get around, with buses, jeepneys, and tricycles all available.
It’s easy for retirees to go to other parts of the island and see new things. Samar is close to some of the Philippines’ most famous tourist spots, like Boracay and Palawan. These places are easy for retirees to get to and offer even more excitement and fun.
12. High-quality hospitals and healthcare
Samar has a number of hospitals and clinics that offer good health care. When you live in Samar, you can get medical care and other services when you need them. Samar has a number of hospitals and medical centers where people can get good medical care. Here are a few of Samar’s hospitals:
- EVRMC- This is the biggest government hospital in Eastern Visayas. It is in Tacloban City, which is close to Samar. The hospital has modern buildings and tools, as well as a team of skilled doctors and nurses who can help with a wide range of medical needs.
- Calbayog District Hospital- It is a hospital in Calbayog City that helps people who live nearby get medical care. It has a team of skilled doctors, nurses, and other medical staff who care for patients in a good way.
- Samar Provincial Hospital is in the city of Catbalogan- This hospital It serves the people of Samar province by giving them medical care. Patients get good care at the hospital because it has modern equipment and a team of experienced doctors and nurses.
- Holy Name University Medical Center- This medical center is in Tagbilaran City and offers a variety of medical services, such as basic care, laboratory services, and diagnostic imaging. Patients get good care at the center because it has modern facilities and a team of skilled medical workers.
13. Low crime rate
Samar has a low crime rate, which means it is a safe place to live and raise a family. If you live in Samar, you can feel safe and protected in your neighborhood. This is really important for anyone who plans to retire in a place like the province or anywhere in the world. Crimes are rampant and its important to be in a safe community and place.
14. Lots of freedom in religion
Samar has a lot of different religions, with Catholicism, Protestantism, and Islam being the most common. Living in Samar means being exposed to different views and ways of life, which helps people be more tolerant and respectful of others.
15. People in Samar are known to be hardworking
People in Samar are known for their hard work and drive, which shows in the growing economy of the province. People who live in Samar are part of a group that values hard work and sticking with things. If you want to be around people who are hardworking or someone who can be your friend in the area, Samar is a good place to go to!
16. Environmental sustainability
Samar is dedicated to protecting its natural resources and promoting environmental sustainability. Living in Samar means being part of a community that cares about the earth and takes steps to protect it. Samar has a lot of different plant and animal types, including some that only live there. When you live in Samar, you are surrounded by a lot of natural plants and living things.
Even though Samar is a rural area, it still has access to modern things like shopping malls, bars, and places to have fun. People who are retired can live in comfort without giving up ease. Around the area, there are grocery stores, bakeries, hardware shops, and other businesses that people need.