There are many things to consider if you want to work abroad. First and foremost, you should take a look at the country that interests you. Do some research about it, read some articles and try to get a feeling for which country would suit you best.
Also Read: How to Become an OFW and Work Abroad
There are also several aspects of working abroad that differ from your home country or the country in which you’re currently working. But before we go into that, let’s just have a quick overview of the things that can help you decide which manpower agency to work for when you want to work abroad.
Be sure to read the following sections for more information:
- 10 Things OFWs Should Consider When Choosing A Manpower Agency
- 1. Manpower Agency size
- 2. Manpower Agency model and structure
- 3. How engaged is the staffing partner
- 4. How long has the manpower agency been around
- 5. Staff knowledge, experience and expertise
- 6. Alignment with your needs, goals and preferred business culture
- 7. Services offered by the manpower agency – is it a full-service vendor or just a website
- 8. Quality measures of the manpower agency used to screen candidates and process orders
- 9. Ability to negotiate with candidates on behalf of their clients
- 10. Fees charged for services
10 Things OFWs Should Consider When Choosing A Manpower Agency
1. Manpower Agency size
- A large manpower agency has many employees from different countries and cultures. This means that they have more potential candidates for any position that you need to be filled.
- A small manpower agency may be able to provide better customer service because they know each member of their staff personally. They can also devote more time to finding candidates for you than a larger company would be able to do in the same amount of time.
- A small-sized manpower agency has fewer clients than its competitors do, which means that they have more time available for each client’s needs and requests. They can also devote more attention to finding suitable candidates for each position than their larger competitors can provide.
- An international manpower agency will have more applicants available to fill your positions because they have connections with other countries’ agencies as well as local agencies in your area or country. This means that they have access to more potential employees than other agencies might have access
2. Manpower Agency model and structure
Decide which model of agency you want to work with. There are two main models: the traditional agency and the managed service provider (MSP).
Traditional agencies tend to be smaller, with a greater emphasis on personal relationships and direct contact with the client. MSPs are larger organisations that offer a wide range of services under one roof – they usually use third party contractors who have been vetted before working for them.
3. How engaged is the staffing partner
You want to work with a staffing partner who will be able to dedicate time and resources toward your project. They should also have experience in handling similar projects so that they know what needs to be done, how long it will take and how much it will cost.
4. How long has the manpower agency been around
Check how long the agency you are considering has been in business. This is especially important if you are looking for temporary placement. It’s good to know that at least some of their clients have been satisfied with their services and that they have been around long enough to build up a client base.
5. Staff knowledge, experience and expertise
It is important that the people behind your project have sufficient knowledge and experience in their niche areas. You can check this by asking them about their past projects and what kind of results they had achieved. You can also ask for references from other companies or clients who have used their services before.
6. Alignment with your needs, goals and preferred business culture
Another thing to consider when choosing a manpower agency is whether it aligns with your needs, goals and preferred business culture.
If you’re looking for full-time work, for example, you’ll want to find an agency that has a strong track record of placing full-time workers and can offer the kind of support you need.
On the other hand, if you wish to look for other short-term or temporary placements, you might want to find an agency that specializes in that area. The same goes if you’re looking for temporary or contract jobs — some agencies specialize in one or the other while others do both.
7. Services offered by the manpower agency – is it a full-service vendor or just a website
A full-service vendor will be able to provide you with all the help that you need in terms of recruitment processes and HR support, while a website will not be able to do much more than point out job opportunities that fit your requirements.
8. Quality measures of the manpower agency used to screen candidates and process orders
1. Screening Process
The screening process is one of the most important aspects of any recruitment agency. It is through this process that candidates are evaluated based on their skills and experience, which will determine if they are fit for the job or not.
A reliable agency should provide references from past employers or clients who can vouch for their services. This way, you will know what kind of service you are getting from them before making any commitments with them.
A good agency should be accredited by an internationally-recognized body like ISO 9001 or ISO 17024 in order to show that they offer world-class services.
9. Ability to negotiate with candidates on behalf of their clients
Some agencies negotiate directly with their candidates while others pass this responsibility on to their clients. If you want an agency that negotiates on behalf of their clients then this is something that should be considered when choosing one.
10. Fees charged for services
The fees charged by the manpower agencies vary from one company to another. Before you sign up with any company, ask them about the fees and charges involved in hiring their services. It is important that you understand what all charges are involved in hiring an agency so that there is no miscommunication between both parties later on.
As we discussed above, the multitude of circumstances surrounding OFW deployment makes this a complex topic. What’s more, many people probably have no idea that there is such a thing as a “best” manpower agency. Hopefully, this list will start to raise awareness of that fact—that it’s worth picking an agency with integrity and professionalism, instead of simply settling for the first agency that shows up in your search results. By doing this, you’ll be doing yourself a big favor: by giving yourself the chance to get in touch with more experienced and higher quality manpower agencies.