The Pinoy OFW

News

Duterte Restricts Entry of Travelers from UK, 19 Other Countries Affected by New COVID-19 Variant

President Rodrigo Duterte has announced that the country will allow entry of travelers coming from the United Kingdom and 19 other new countries over the threat of a new variant of coronavirus spotted in these areas, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque explained.

ALSO READ: President Duterte Hints at Another Possible Nationwide Lockdown Due to New COVID-19 Strain

This announcement came after several countries shut off their borders from international travelers as part of their precautionary measures against the new COVID-19 variant.

Duterte Restricts Entry of Travelers from UK, 19 Other Countries Affected by New COVID-19 Variant

Credits: PCOO

Travelers from the UK, 19 Other Countries Banned from Entry in PH Due to New COVID-19 Variant

In a statement, Roque said that travelers from the UK will not be allowed to enter the Philippines until January 15, 2021. The ban was initially scheduled to end by December 31, GMA News Online reported.

Nagpatupad na ng travel ban ang Pilipinas para sa mga dayuhang manggagaling sa 20 bansa na may bagong variant ng…

Posted by GMA News on Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The travel ban, which had been imposed on December 24, has been extended to cover those coming from 19 other countries namely:

  1. Denmark
  2. Ireland
  3. Japan
  4. Australia’
  5. Israel
  6. The Netherlands
  7. Hong Kong
  8. Switzerland
  9. France
  10. Germany
  11. Iceland
  12. Italy
  13. Lebanon
  14. Singapore
  15. Sweden
  16. South Korea
  17. South Africa
  18. Canada and
  19. Spain

Meanwhile, passengers who are already in transit and expected to arrive in the Philippines before December 30, 00:01 PST from any of the countries listed above will not be prohibited from entry but will be required to undergo an absolute facility-based 14-day quarantine period, regardless of whether they can present a negative RT-PCR test result.

This, too, shall apply to any Filipino citizen coming from any of the identified 19 countries, who wish to return to the country during the said period.

“The Office of the President, upon the joint recommendation of the Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Foreign Affairs, may impose restrictions to travelers coming from other countries that report the presence of the new variant of COVID-19,” Roque said.

READ NEXT: MORE JOBS AVAILABLE: Plenty of Jobs Still Available for Pinoy Health Workers, Factory Staff Abroad – POEA

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top
error: