Do you know an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) whose family serves as a good role model in your community? If so, now is your chance to nominate them for a prestigious award!
The search is now on for the Model OFW Family of the Year Awardees (MOFYA), an annual event organized by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). Recently, OWWA Region 7 (Central Visayas) has announced a call for nominees, according to Cebu Daily News.
Search on for Model OFW Family
The Model OFW Family Award seeks to recognize OFW families and their outstanding achievements. Amid all the challenges of working abroad, these families have attained success and remained resilient through hard work, dedication, and commitment.
Who can nominate?
The following groups or organizations may nominate an OFW family for the award:
- Religious groups
- People’s organizations
- Non-government organizations (NGOs)
- Socio-civic groups
- OFW family groups
What are the requirements?
The OFW nominee:
- Should be a resident of Region 7 (i.e. Bohol, Cebu, Negros Oriental, and Siquijor).
- Could be the father or mother (including widows/widowers) who is a land-based or sea-based OFW.
- Should have no criminal or derogatory records.
- Should NOT be a holder of an elected or appointed position in either local or national office.
- Should have at least 4 years experience working abroad. He/She may be currently or formerly working overseas.
- Former OFWs should have returned to the Philippines “for good” for not more than 10 years from the date of nomination.
What are the criteria for judging?
The Model OFW Family will be selected based on:
- Wholesomeness of the OFW family
- Success in managing family finances
- Success in OFW’s and/or family members’ education or profession
- Civic/Community involvement of the OFW and family
One winner from each category (i.e. land-based and sea-based OFWs) will be selected. They will be representing Region 7 in the national competition.
How to submit nominations?
Nomination forms may be obtained at the OWWA Region 7 office, which is located on the second floor of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Region 7 building on Gorordo Avenue corner Gen. Maxilom Avenue in Cebu City.
The deadline for submission of nominations is on 17th August 2018. There’s still around one month to go!
If you know an OFW family that deserves to be recognized, do not hesitate to nominate them for this award! For more information, you may contact the OWWA Region 7 office through telephone (254-3199 and 415-5203) or mobile phone (0918-921-4925 and 0917-624-9113). Meanwhile to learn more about this government agency, check out our article about OWWA membership and benefits.