Philippines is home to some of the best and tastiest beers in the world. From light lagers to full-bodied ales, the country offers a wide variety of locally-made brews that cater to different taste preferences. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the best Philippine-branded beers that have gained popularity and recognition both locally and internationally.
Also Read: Types of Beers in the Philippines
Beer is a popular alcoholic beverage in the Philippines, and it has been deeply ingrained in the country’s drinking culture.
It is common for Filipinos to enjoy a cold beer after a long day at work, during social gatherings, and even during festive celebrations.
Drinking beer is often seen as a way to relax and bond with friends and family. In recent years, the country has seen a growing interest in craft beers, with more and more local breweries popping up across the country.
Despite this, mainstream commercial beers still dominate the market, and they remain the go-to choice for most Filipinos.
In the following sections, we will take a look at some of the most popular brands of beer and some of the emerging local craft beers in various parts of the country. Come join us for a tasting tour of some of the best Philippine branded beers!
1. San Miguel Beer
San Miguel Beer is a brand of beer that originated in the Philippines and has become one of the best Philippine-branded beers to date. It is produced by the San Miguel Brewery, which was founded in 1890 and is now one of the largest beer producers in Southeast Asia.
San Miguel Beer is a pale lager that is known for its smooth and crisp taste, making it a popular choice among Filipino beer drinkers.
The brand has also expanded internationally and is now available in many countries worldwide. In addition to its flagship lager, San Miguel Brewery also produces other beer brands, including Red Horse, San Mig Light, and Cerveza Negra.
2. Red Horse Beer
Red Horse Beer is a popular brand of beer in the Philippines, produced by San Miguel Brewery, one of the largest beer producers in Southeast Asia. It is a high-alcohol lager, with an alcohol content of 6.9%, making it one of the strongest beers in the country.
Red Horse Beer has a distinct taste, described as bold and full-bodied, with a slightly sweet and bitter aftertaste. It is known for its iconic red horse logo, which has become a symbol of Filipino drinking culture.
The beer is widely available in the Philippines, and it is often consumed during social gatherings and parties. It has also gained a following among beer enthusiasts and is exported to other countries.
3. Gold Eagle Beer
Gold Eagle Beer is a brand of lager beer produced by the San Miguel Brewery, one of the largest and oldest breweries in the Philippines. It has been in production since the 1950s and has since become a staple beer among Filipinos.
Gold Eagle Beer is a light and easy-to-drink beer with a smooth taste, making it a popular choice for casual drinking and social gatherings.
It is also affordable and widely available, making it accessible to most consumers in the Philippines. Gold Eagle Beer has remained a favorite among Filipinos for decades, thanks to its consistent quality and reasonable price point.
3. Beer Na Beer Pale Pilsen
Beer na Beer Pale Pilsen is a popular brand of beer in the Philippines that is known for its crisp, clean taste and affordable price.
Produced by San Miguel Brewery, one of the country’s largest beer manufacturers, Beer na Beer Pale Pilsen is a light lager that has a 5% alcohol content.
It is made with high-quality malted barley and hops, and it undergoes a strict brewing process to ensure consistency in flavor and quality.
The brand has been a mainstay in the Philippine beer market for decades and has become a favorite among Filipinos who are looking for refreshing and easy-to-drink beer.
4. Manila Beer & Manila Light
Manila Beer and Manila Light are two popular beer brands that are proudly Filipino-made.
Manila Beer is a full-bodied lager that boasts a rich, malty flavor with a smooth and clean finish.
It has been a favorite among Filipinos for over three decades and is often enjoyed during social gatherings and celebrations.
On the other hand, Manila Light is a lighter version of Manila Beer, with a lower alcohol content and fewer calories.
It has a crisp, refreshing taste that makes it a popular choice for those who want to enjoy a beer without the heavy feeling.
Both Manila Beer and Manila Light are brewed using high-quality ingredients and are known for their excellent taste and quality.
They are widely available in supermarkets and stores across the Philippines, making them accessible to both locals and tourists.
Local Craft Beers
But if you’re looking for something more unique and flavorful, the Philippines also boasts a growing number of craft beer brands from various parts of the country. One of the most popular is Engkanto Brewery, which produces a range of beers inspired by local flavors such as tamarind and calamansi. Here are the rest of the best local craft beers in the Philippines:
- Alamat Craft Brew: A Filipino-inspired craft beer with unique flavors.
- Baguio Craft Brewery: A brewery in Baguio City that produces beers with a cool and refreshing taste.
- Bacuit Bay Brewhouse: A Palawan-based brewery that creates beers with a tropical twist.
- Baler Brewing Co.: A brewery in Baler that produces craft beers with bold flavors.
- Blackwhite Craft Brewery: A Batangas-based brewery that offers a wide variety of craft beers.
- Bulul Brewery: A Pampanga-based brewery that creates beers using local ingredients.
- Calle Brewery: A brewery in Vigan that produces craft beers inspired by Ilocano culture.
- Cerveza Sagada Craft Brewery: A Sagada-based brewery that uses local ingredients to create unique and flavorful beers.
- Craftpoint Brewing Company: A brewery in La Union that offers craft beers with a distinct taste and character.
- Crazy Carabao Brewing Company: A Laguna-based brewery that produces craft beers with a unique and adventurous taste.
- Crow’s Craft Brewing Company: A brewery in Quezon City that offers a variety of craft beers with a distinct character.
- Desert Fathers Brewing Co.: A Cavite-based brewery that creates beers with a strong and bold taste.
- Elias Wicked Ales & Spirits: A brewery that produces craft beers with a distinct flavor and aroma.
- Engkanto Brewery: A brewery that offers a range of craft beers inspired by local flavors and ingredients.
- G Point Craft Beer: A brewery in Pasig that produces high-quality craft beers with a unique taste and character.
- Great Islands Craft Brewery: A Cavite-based brewery that offers craft beers with a distinct tropical flavor.
- Ibalon Craft Brew: A brewery in Naga City that creates beers with a bold and complex taste.
- Joe’s Brew: A brewery that produces craft beers with a unique and adventurous character.
- Juan Brew: A brewery in Mandaluyong that offers a variety of craft beers with a distinct taste and aroma.
- Kapitolyo Brewing Company: A Pasig-based brewery that creates beers with a unique and flavorful taste.
- Katipunan Craft Ales: A brewery that offers craft beers with a distinct and adventurous taste.
- Mitchell’s Backyard Brewery: A brewery that produces craft beers with a unique and bold flavor.
- Nipa Brew Craft Beers: A brewery that creates craft beers using local ingredients and flavors.
- Monkey Eagle Brewery: A Tagaytay-based brewery that offers a range of craft beers with a unique taste and character.
- Palaweno Brewery: A Puerto Princesa-based brewery that creates beers using locally sourced ingredients.
- Pedro Brewcrafters: A brewery that produces craft beers with a distinct and flavorful taste.
- Pivo Praha: A brewery that creates beers with a rich and complex flavor.
- Pinatubo Craft Brewery: An Angeles City-based brewery that offers craft beers with a bold and adventurous taste.
- Santiago Brewery & Malthouse: An Antipolo-based brewery that produces craft beers with a distinct and refreshing taste.
- The Brewery at the Palace: A brewery in Taguig that creates beers with a unique and flavorful taste.
- The Laughing Carabao: A Tarlac-based brewery that offers craft beers with a bold and adventurous character.
- The Professor’s Brew: A brewery that produces craft beers with a unique and complex taste.
- ABC Craft Beers: Enjoy a variety of handcrafted beers made from local ingredients on the beautiful island of Siquijor.
- Amigos de la Playa: Sip on refreshing beers while lounging on the stunning beaches of Boracay with this local brewery.
- Birdie Num Num Tropical Brewery: Taste the tropics with the unique and flavorful craft beers from this brewery in Dumaguete.
- Brewery Gastropub: Indulge in delicious food and great beers with the gastropub concept from this brewery in Iloilo.
- Cebu Beer Factory: Sample some of the best beers Cebu has to offer with this brewery’s handcrafted brews made from local ingredients.
- Cebu Brewing Company: Take your taste buds on a journey with the wide range of flavors from this Cebu-based brewery.
- Illusion Brewery: Try the award-winning craft beers from this Bacolod-based brewery that experiments with unique flavors and ingredients.
- Negros Island Craft Brewing Co.: Savor the taste of Negros with this brewery’s locally sourced and handcrafted beers.
- The Cebruery: Dive into the craft beer scene of Cebu with this brewery’s innovative and experimental brews.
- Turning Wheels Craft Brewery: Discover the rich history and culture of Cebu through the flavors of the handcrafted beers from this brewery.
- Fat Pauly’s Hand-Crafted Ales & Lagers: A small-batch brewery in Iligan City that specializes in handcrafted ales and lagers.
- Harley’s Food + Craft Beer: A restaurant in Zamboanga City that offers a wide selection of craft beers to complement their delicious food.
- BEEReaucracy BAR: A popular bar in Davao City that serves a wide range of local and international craft beers, as well as delicious food.
Video: PHILIPPINE CRAFT BEER FESTIVAL- BIGGEST GATHERING OF ALL LOCAL CRAFT BREWERIES IN GREENFIELD
Interested in finding out about some of the well-loved local craft beers in the country? Check out this video featuring the Philippine Craft Beer Festival, the biggest gathering of all local craft breweries in Greenfield.
This festival brings together the best of Philippine craft beers, with over 50 breweries showcasing their unique and flavorful brews.
From classic styles like pale ales and stouts to more experimental flavors like mango and chocolate, there’s something for every beer lover to enjoy.
Get a glimpse of the festival’s lively atmosphere and discover the stories behind each brewery in this exciting video.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the most popular beer brands in the Philippines?
Some of the most popular beer brands in the Philippines are San Miguel, Red Horse, and Pale Pilsen.
2. What are the best Philippine-branded beers?
Some of the best Philippine-branded beers include San Miguel Pale Pilsen, Red Horse Beer, and Manila Beer.
3. Are there any Philippine breweries that produce craft beers?
Yes, there are several breweries in the Philippines that produce craft beers, such as Engkanto Brewery, Nipa Brew, and Turning Wheels Craft Brewery.
4. What are the different types of beer available in the Philippines?
The Philippines offers a wide variety of beers, including lagers, ales, stouts, and porters, among others.
5. Are Philippine beers only available in the Philippines?
While some of the best Philippine-branded beers are only available locally, many are also exported and can be found in other countries.
6. Are there any non-alcoholic Philippine beer options?
Yes, some Philippine beer brands offer non-alcoholic or low-alcohol options, such as San Miguel Zero and San Miguel Flavored Beer.
7. What is the alcohol content of Philippine beers?
The alcohol content of the best Philippine branded beers varies, but most commercial beers range from 4-7% ABV (alcohol by volume), while craft beers may have higher or lower alcohol content.
8. Where can I buy Philippine beers?
Philippine beers can be bought in most supermarkets, convenience stores, and liquor stores across the country, as well as online through various e-commerce platforms.
The Philippines’ beer culture is thriving, with a growing number of craft beer brands emerging and showcasing their unique flavors and stories.
Whether you’re a beer enthusiast or just looking for a refreshing drink to enjoy, there is something for everyone among the best Philippine branded beers.
From classic commercial beers like San Miguel and Red Horse to innovative craft brews from Engkanto Brewery, Nipa Brew, and Turning Wheels Craft Brewery, the country offers a diverse range of options to explore and appreciate.
With the Philippines’ rich brewing history and passion for quality beer, it’s no wonder that the country continues to produce some of the best and tastiest beers in the world.