How to Claim SSS Retirement Benefits While Living Abroad

Regardless of how long they have been living abroad, Filipino immigrants and Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) are still Filipinos who are entitled to their SSS Retirement benefits. That said, it means that under the law detailed in the Section 15 of the 1997 Philippine SSS Law, RA 8282, SSS will pay their benefits without regard to nationality or country of residence as long as his or her country is recognized by the Philippines and is also extending benefits to Filipino beneficiaries in the Philippines.

Also Read: 5 Best Housing Loan Options for OFWs

So if you are a Pinoy based abroad and you are wondering how you can claim your retirement benefits for being an SSS member, please go through this article for some tips and step by step guide.

Where and How to File for SSS Retirement Claim

If you are a 60-year-old Filipino abroad and you wish to file an SSS Retirement claim, then these are your options:

  1. You may take a vacation in the Philippines and file your claim.
  2. If you are near an overseas SSS office that process claims, you can file your claim there.
  3. If you are unable to travel to the Philippines, then your trusted authorized representative in the Philippines can file your claim. Naturally, you will need to provide him with an authenticated Special Power of Attorney and a few other documents that you can get from the nearest Philippine embassy or Philippine Consulate.

List of documentary requirements

For filing a claim for SSS Retirement Benefits, you will need to submit the original or certified true copy and photocopy of the following:

  • Valid ID

Note: For SSS members residing abroad, any valid ID card or document issued by foreign governments and showing foreign citizenship, residency, or employment prior to retirement (e.g. certificate of naturalization, foreign passport, driver’s license, residency card, and work permit) shall be accepted in the absence of Philippine-issued ID or documents.

  • Duly filled out SSS Retirement Claim Application
  • SSS Member or claimant’s Photo and Signature form
  • PSA-issued Birth Certificate or Local Civil Registrar
  • Single account savings account passbook or ATM card in the name of member, issued in the Philippines
    – If the name and account number is not on the ATM card, then a copy of initial deposit slip will suffice.
    – If the claimant doesn’t have a Philippine bank account, then you will need to accomplish a Visa cash card enrollment form issued by an SSS-accredited bank.
  • Other supporting documents like Marriage certificate, issued by PSA or by local civil registrar

Note: All documents must be in English. If it isn’t, then you will need to submit an English translation.

Filing via Authorized Representative in Philippine

When filing a claim through a trusted authorized representative in the Philippines, you will need:

  • A Special Power of Attorney (SPA) that specifically state that you are giving the authority to your attorney-in-fact (representative) to file and sign your SSS claim documents for and on your behalf. It should be less than one year old, if issued abroad, and less than 6-month old, if issued in the Philippines and authenticated at the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate, or an SSS Foreign Representative Officer.
  • Valid ID cards of the representative
  • Retirement Claim Form duly accomplished by the member

I’m 60 years old, but still working abroad. Can I file for an SSS Retirement Claim?

YES. For Voluntary Members (VM) and OFWs filing for a retirement claim, a Certification of Separation from Employment or Cessation of Business or Self-Employment or Certification of No Earnings is no longer a requirement if they file before reaching the age of 65.

If you are unsure of your status, you can check it via your online SSS account. If your status is Employed or Self-Employed, you can turn your status to VM by paying at least one monthly contribution as a Voluntary member. In your payment slip, write or check “Voluntary Member.”

If you’re already 54 or older, or are planning to make one last contribution payment, then you can pay the current maximum monthly contribution since SSS uses the last 60 monthly contributions as one of the two bases for computing the average monthly salary credit (SSS pension amount).


Leave a Comment