The Philippine Red Cross has begun accepting bookings for its saliva-based COVID-19 test, an inexpensive and faster alternative to the RT-PCR or swab test.
The saliva test costs Php 2,000 compared to Php 3,500 to Php 4,000 for the RT-PCR depending on the provider. Results will also be released within three to four hours compared to 24 to 48 hours for a swab test.
Book a COVID-19 Saliva Test at the Philippine Red Cross through These Steps
While this may seem more convenient and likely preferred by most people, the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19 (IATF) still requires the RT-PCR testing for outbound passengers.
As per the PRC’s test booking website, the saliva test will be initially rolled out in its Mandaluyong headquarters and at the Port Area in Manila.
In an interview with Teleradyo, Sen. Richard Gordon, who chairs the PRC said that the service will eventually be expanded nationwide.
Here’s the Step-by-Step Guide from the Philippine Red Cross:
- After you’ve accessed the test booking website, select the date and time of your saliva test. Each slot is 10 minutes long. Click the “Book Now” to add the appointment to your cart.
- Once you’re ready, click on your Cart (upper right side of the screen) and view your items.
- Click the “Check-out” button to proceed. Review the details of your order and then input your personal details, then select your preferred payment method. There are two payment options currently available:
- GCash via PayMongo; and
- GrabPay via PayMongo
- Check your e-mail for the confirmation of your order, which will show you the date, time, and location of your saliva test appointment. Also, you will be sent a link to the e-CIF form along with the payment confirmation e-mail.
- Fill up the e-CIF form BEFORE your appointment as this must be completed before the Swab Test is conducted. Alternatively, access the e-CIF Form at https://c19.redcross.org.ph/public-ecif.
- Be at the appointment venue 15 minutes before the scheduled time to allow time for verification and security check. Also, make sure to have your proof of payment with you as this may be requested on site. And lastly, be sure to wear a face mask and face shield as well as brig a pen.
Important: Do not eat, drink, gargle, smoke or vape for 30 minutes before the scheduled appointment.
- Expect to receive the results of the test via email. Alternatively, you may monitor the progress of the result of your test using this link: redcross.org.ph/track.
The saliva test is one of the approved methods of testing for COVID-19 in the Philippines. However, this is not the prescribed test for those who wish to exit or enter the country as per the IATF. Also, other safety measures apply even after you have tested negative for such tests, and prescribed measures might vary from one city to another.
READ NEXT: COVID-19 Testing for OFWs to Remain Free