How would you like to make an investment that not only earns passive income, but gives you the opportunity to win up to PHP 1 million in cash and a brand new car? This is what you can get if you invest in Premyo Bonds before the end of this year!
Once again, the Philippine government, through the Department of Finance and the Bureau of the Treasury, will be launching the sale of Premyo Bonds. This affordable retail bond offering is intended for small investors who are interested in earning passive income, while at the same time eager to help boost the country’s economy amid the current pandemic.
- What are Premyo Bonds?
- What is the Bureau of the Treasury and its Function?
- Reasons to Invest in Premyo Bonds
- List of Raffle Prizes – Premyo Bonds 2
- Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for Retail Treasury Bonds via Premyo Bonds
- How Much Interest will I Earn?
- List of Partner Banks
- Video: Buying Premyo Bonds
- Contact Information – Bureau of the Treasury
What are Premyo Bonds?
As the name suggests, a Premyo Bond is a type of bond that offers investors the chance to win great prizes while earning passive income. One bond unit costs only PHP 500 each, with a term of one-year at 3-percent annual interest, including 20-percent withholding tax.
Like other bonds, Premyo Bonds are: non-transferable, which means that ownership cannot be transferred from one entity to another; non-tradable, meaning they cannot be bought and sold in secondary markets; and non-preterminable, which means that they cannot be preterminated before maturity. After one year, the principal cost will be returned to you in full.
What is the Bureau of the Treasury and its Function?
Premyo Bonds are offered by the Philippine Bureau of the Treasury, which basically serves as the “principal custodian” of the national government’s financial assets. It is the entity that makes funds available for government projects. It is also involved in the management of cash resources and collection of taxes, as well as in controlling and servicing public debt.
Reasons to Invest in Premyo Bonds
Why should you invest in Premyo Bonds? First of all, they are issued by the Philippine national government, and are therefore a safe type of investment in terms of credit risk. They are also reliable, with a fixed interest income to be gained every quarter. In addition, there are huge cash prizes and other “showcases” at stake… All investors have the chance to win!
List of Raffle Prizes – Premyo Bonds 2
Last year, after the first edition of Premyo Bonds was launched in November 2019, quarterly raffle draws were held. All in all, there were 100 winners of PHP 20,000 each, 15 winners of PHP 100,000 each, and one winner of the grand prize… PHP 1 million and a condominium unit from Megaworld!
Based on a report from the Philippine News Agency, National Treasurer Rosalia de Leon announced that Premyo Bonds will be launched once again, and the offer period will be from November 11 to December 11, 2020. This year’s theme is “Pangkabuhayan (Livelihood),” and lucky raffle winners are set to gain the following prizes:
- 50 winners of PHP 20,000 each
- 10 winners of PHP 100,000 each
- 1 winner of PHP 1 million
- Two (2) Toyota Innovas (for grand prize winner)
Aside from the above prizes, 20 winners will receive a “special reward” of PHP 50,000 each. This applies to investors with placements of up to PHP 20,000 each.
Each bond unit can win only once per quarterly cash rewards draw. However, an investor may own multiple bonds (up to a maximum of 20,000 bond units). This means that you can actually win multiple times if your bond units are chosen during the cash rewards draw!
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for Retail Treasury Bonds via Premyo Bonds
There are four main ways to purchasing Premyo Bonds: over-the-counter in a participating bank, online through the Bureau of the Treasury website, the Bonds.ph mobile app, and the Overseas Filipino Bank mobile app. Here is a step-by-step guide for each method:
A. Over the Counter Method
- Go to a participating bank (i.e. BDO, China Bank, DBP, LANDBANK, Metrobank, and FMIC) and inform the customer relations officer that you want to buy Premyo Bonds. If you already have an existing account with the bank, you can use this as your settlement account. Otherwise, you will have to open a new account with the bank.
- Fill up a series of forms, including: Application to Purchase Form, Customer Suitability Assessment Form, and other forms that may be required. Be sure to prepare one (1) valid government-issued ID and your principal payment.
- Pay the principal cost. Premyo Bonds are offered for a minimum denomination of PHP 500, with each PHP 500 placement equal to one (1) Premyo Bond unit. You can pay in cash, check, debit bank account, or a combination of these modes.
B. Online Method
- Visit the Bureau of the Treasury website at https://www.treasury.gov.ph/ and read the details about Premyo Bonds. Once understood, you can click “Ready to Order.” Be sure to have an existing account with the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) or Land Bank of the Philippines (LANDBANK). Also, make sure your account is enrolled with the bank’s online payment facility (i.e. DBP’s Electronic Payment System or LANDBANK’s iAccess).
- Fill in the online forms by answering the mandatory fields. You will need to enter your name, birth date, gender, address, contact number, e-mail, amount to be invested, settlement bank, and other details. Then, click “Submit.”
- Pay the principal cost. You will be directed to the bank’s online payment facility, where you can now place your order and pay using your debit bank account.
- After completing your payment, you will be directed to a webpage showing a “Notice of Successful Payment” containing your Reference Number. This will also be sent to your e-mail. You can print this as proof of your investment in Premyo Bonds.
C. Invest Using Bonds.ph App
- Download the Bonds.ph mobile app from Google Play Store or App Store.
- Sign up and verify your account.
- Once you get verified, click “Cash In.”
- Choose your preferred payment channel.
- Enter the amount you want to cash-in and confirm your details.
- Complete your cash-in request by paying the amount due.
- That’s it! You can now start investing in bonds. Click “Buy” to begin.”
- Choose the bond you want to buy (i.e. Premyo Bonds) and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Here is a video of how to sign up for a Bonds.ph account:
D. Invest Using Overseas Filipino Bank App
You can use the Overseas Filipino Bank mobile app to invest in Premyo Bonds. First, you will need to sign up by following these steps:
- Download the Overseas FB mobile app from Google Play Store or App Store.
- Open the app, read the terms and conditions and click “Next.”
- Enter your profile and contact information.
- Nominate your user ID and set a password.
- You will receive a One-Time Pin (OTP) at your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and click “Submit” within 5 minutes.
- You will receive another OTP at your registered email address. Simply repeat the previous step.
- Nominate 3 security questions to help secure your account.
- Complete your profile by entering the necessary information.
- Choose from the drop down menu which supporting document (e.g. Passport, UMID, PRC ID) you plan to upload.
- Using Zoom Identity Check, take a selfie and follow the instructions for identity verification.
Review all your account details and click “Edit” if you need to change anything. If everything is good, click “Confirm.” That’s it! You can now start using your account.
- To make a deposit, you can go to the nearest remittance company, Visa Direct partner, or bank. You can also make an online deposit from your bank/e-wallet using Instapay and other channels.
After signing up for an Overseas Filipino Bank mobile app account, you can now start investing. Here’s how:
- Open the app and click “Payments.”
- Click “Purchase Treasury Bonds.”
- Choose “Premyo Bonds” from Product Selection.
- Read the terms and conditions, then click “Next.”
- Fill out the transaction form, then click “Submit.”
- Review all the details before confirming your transaction.
Here is a video of how you can sign up for an Overseas Filipino Bank mobile app account and start investing:
How Much Interest will I Earn?
As mentioned earlier, Premyo Bonds are offered at 3-percent annual interest, including 20-percent withholding tax. For example, if you decide to invest PHP 100,000 in Premyo Bonds, you are set to gain PHP 3,000 interest subject to 20-percent withholding tax — resulting in a net income of PHP 2,400 in just one year. This amount is considerably higher than what you could earn from a savings account or time deposit account in most banks.
List of Partner Banks
Below is a list of the partner banks/issuing managers that offer Premyo Bonds:
- Union Bank
- First Metro Investment Corporation (FMIC)
- Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP)
Video: Buying Premyo Bonds
To know more about Premyo Bonds, check out this video by motivational speaker, wealth and life coach Chinkee Tan shared through this YouTube channel, Chink Positive:
Contact Information – Bureau of the Treasury
Address: Ayuntamiento Bldg., Cabildo Street cor. A. Soriano Avenue, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines
Telephone: +632 8 663 2287
DISCLAIMER: The above guide is presented for information-sharing purposes only and we are simply promoting Premyo Bonds as a government-initiated program. Be sure to practice due diligence in research by visiting the Bureau of the Treasury website or by inquiring with your bank before making any purchases or investments.
READ NEXT: What is Pag-IBIG MP2 Savings Program?