In recent years, New Zealand has emerged as an increasingly popular destination for Filipinos seeking job opportunities abroad. With its stunning natural landscapes, a strong economy, and a welcoming culture, New Zealand offers an appealing mix of work and lifestyle. For Filipino job seekers, one platform stands out as a valuable tool in the pursuit of career prospects in the Land of the Long White Cloud: Seek Job NZ.
In this article, we’ll delve into the diverse array of opportunities that Seek Job NZ provides to Filipinos, helping them navigate the job market in New Zealand, understand the application process, and ultimately, take steps towards realizing their dreams of working and living in this enchanting Pacific nation.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences shared by the OFW in the video below. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
Navigating New Zealand: Finding Your Dream Job Through Seek Job NZ
The information presented in this article comes from a YouTube video from an OFW YouTuber. The channel name is Jhing NZ Journey. In this video, the vlogger talks about how to apply to New Zealand through Seek Job NZ. He describes in detail what you can see inside the app or website. If you want to watch the full video, then click on the link below:
Introduction to Seekjob NZ
Seekjob NZ is New Zealand’s largest and most popular job board. It is a website where employers can post job openings and job seekers can find jobs. Seekjob NZ has over 400,000 job seekers registered on its website and over 10,000 jobs posted each month.
Seekjob NZ is a free service for job seekers. To use Seekjob NZ, simply create an account and start browsing jobs. You can search for jobs by keyword, location, job type, and more. You can also create job alerts so that you are notified when new jobs that match your criteria are posted.
Once you have found a job that you are interested in, you can apply directly through Seekjob NZ. Your application will be sent to the employer, who will then review it and decide whether or not to contact you for an interview.
Seekjob NZ is a great resource for both employers and job seekers. Employers can use Seekjob NZ to find qualified candidates for their job openings, and job seekers can use Seekjob NZ to find jobs that match their skills and experience.
Benefits of Using Seekjob NZ
- Large Database of Jobs: Seekjob NZ has a database of over 10,000 jobs, so you are sure to find jobs that match your skills and experience.
- Easy to Use: Seekjob NZ is easy to use. You can create an account and start browsing jobs in minutes.
- Free to Use: Seekjob NZ is a free service for job seekers.
- Job Alerts: You can create job alerts so that you are notified when new jobs that match your criteria are posted.
- Direct Applications: You can apply directly for jobs through Seekjob NZ. Your application will be sent to the employer, who will then review it and decide whether or not to contact you for an interview.
- Comprehensive Job Details: Seekjob NZ provides detailed job listings, including job descriptions, requirements, and company information, helping you make informed decisions about which positions to pursue.
- User Reviews and Ratings: Benefit from insights shared by other job seekers. Seekjob NZ often features user reviews and ratings of employers, giving you a better understanding of the work environment and company culture.
- Mobile Accessibility: Access job listings and manage your applications on the go with the Seekjob NZ mobile app, ensuring you never miss out on new opportunities.
- Interview Tips and Resources: Seekjob NZ offers valuable resources, including interview tips, resume-building tools, and career advice to help you excel throughout the application process.
- Networking Opportunities: Connect with other job seekers and professionals in your field through Seekjob NZ’s networking features, expanding your professional network and potential career opportunities.
How to Begin
- Download the App: Begin by downloading the Seek Job NZ app.
- Register: Click on the “Register” link and provide your email address and a secure password to create your account.
- Sign In: After registration, sign in to your newly created account.
- Profile Setup: Access your profile section to add essential details.
- Personal Summary: Introduce yourself with a brief “Personal Summary” to showcase your personality and aspirations.
- Career History: Highlight your work experience with job titles, company names, dates, and comprehensive descriptions of your responsibilities, skills, and achievements.
- Educational Background: Include your educational history, courses or qualifications, institutions, and dates of completion. Optionally, mention any course highlights, projects, awards, or achievements.
- Licenses and Certifications: Showcase relevant licenses, certificates, memberships, or accreditations in the “Licenses” tab.
- Skills: List your skills, and take advantage of suggested skills based on your career history.
- Language Proficiency: Highlight any languages you are proficient in.
- Upload Your Resume: Ensure your resume is in PDF format and upload it to your profile.
To begin your journey with Seek Job NZ, the first step is to download the app and create an account. Here’s a step-by-step guide to get you started on your path to finding your dream job in New Zealand.
1. Register Your Account: Upon downloading the Seek Job NZ app, the initial step is to register. Simply click on the “Register” link and provide your essential details, including your email address and a secure password. This step ensures you have a personalized account to start your job search journey.
2. Sign In and Profile Setup: After successfully registering, you can proceed to sign in to your newly created account. Once logged in, navigate to your profile section, where you’ll have the opportunity to add critical information about yourself.
3. Personal Summary: In your profile, consider adding a “Personal Summary” as an introduction to who you are. This brief statement serves as your professional introduction and provides potential employers with insights into your personality and aspirations.
4. Career History: A pivotal section of your profile is your career history. Highlight your work experience to potential employers by including job titles, company names, start and end dates, and a comprehensive description of your responsibilities, skills, and accomplishments. This section enables you to present your professional journey effectively.
5. Educational Background: Update your educational background by adding your courses or qualifications, the institutions you attended, and the years or dates of completion. Optionally, you can include any course highlights, extracurricular activities, projects, awards, or achievements from your academic journey.
6. Licenses and Certifications: The “Licenses” tab is where you can showcase any licenses, certificates, memberships, or accreditations relevant to your field. This section provides employers with evidence of your qualifications and expertise.
7. Skills and Language Proficiency: Let potential employers know the value you bring by listing your skills. Seek Job NZ even offers suggested skills based on your career history, making it easier to demonstrate your strengths. Additionally, you can highlight any languages you are proficient in, broadening your appeal to employers.
8. Upload Your Resume: Finally, you can upload your resume, an essential document for job applications. Click on the “Upload a Resume” button, ensuring that your resume is in PDF format to ensure compatibility with the platform.
Next Steps: Adding your Details
- Specify Your Availability: Indicate when you can start work, with options like 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, or 12 weeks plus.
- Preferred Work Type: Choose from full-time, part-time, contract, or casual employment.
- Preferred Work Locations: Specify where you would like to work to align positions with your desired locations.
- Right to Work: Indicate your eligibility to work in New Zealand, including citizenship, visa details, and sponsorship requirements.
- Salary Expectations: Express your salary expectations in terms of annual, monthly, or hourly rates in New Zealand Dollars (NZD).
- Classification of Interest: Select your area of interest from a wide range of categories, such as hospitality, finance, healthcare, and more.
- Subcategories for Specific Roles: Explore subcategories within your chosen field to narrow down your job search for specific roles.
Specify Your Availability:
In your Seek Job NZ profile, it’s essential to specify your availability. This information helps potential employers understand when you can start working. You’ll find several options to choose from, including 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, or 12 weeks plus.
Preferred Work Type:
Within your profile settings, you can also indicate your preferred work type. Seek Job NZ offers options such as full-time, part-time, contract, or casual employment. Selecting the most suitable work type aligns your job search with your preferences.
Preferred Work Locations:
To further tailor your job search, specify your preferred work locations. Let potential employers know where you would like to work, ensuring that the positions align with your desired locations.
Right to Work:
Your Seek Job NZ profile also requires you to indicate your right to work in New Zealand. Options include New Zealand citizenship, a student visa with no restrictions on work hours, a student visa with work-hour restrictions, a skilled migrant temporary work visa (e.g., Silver Fern Visa), a family/partner visa with no restrictions, a resident visa with no restrictions (e.g., 2021), a graduate temporary work visa (e.g., Post Study Work Visa – Open), a holiday temporary work visa, or permanent residency and/or Australian citizenship.
Additionally, you can select the option “Require sponsorship or a current job offer to work for a new employer” (e.g., Work-to-Residence Visa, Skilled Migrant Residence Visa) to inform employers of your sponsorship needs.
Specify your salary expectations in terms of base salary to enhance your visibility to relevant employers. You can choose between annual, monthly, or hourly rates, and express your expectations in New Zealand Dollars (NZD). For instance, you can enter “25 NZD hourly” as your desired rate.
Classification of Interest:
Tailor your Seek Job NZ profile further by selecting your classification of interest. Choose from various categories, such as advertising, arts and media, banking and finance services, call center and customer center, CEO and General management, community services and development, consulting and strategy, design and architecture, education and training, engineering, farming, animals and conservation, government and defense, healthcare and medical, hospitality and tourism, human resources and recruitment, and more.
Subcategories for Specific Roles:
If you’re interested in a specific role within a broader category, Seek Job NZ provides subcategories for more precise job targeting. For example, under “Hospitality and Tourism,” you can explore subcategories like airlines, bar and beverage staff, chefs/cooks, front office and guest services, gaming, housekeeping, kitchen and sandwich hands, management, and others. These subcategories help you narrow down your search to find roles that align with your career goals and interests.
By providing these details in your Seek Job NZ profile, you empower potential employers to better understand your preferences, qualifications, and expectations, ultimately increasing your chances of finding a job that suits you.
Looking for a Job
- Search for Specific Jobs: Use the app’s search feature to look for specific job roles, e.g., “housekeeping.”
- Choose Your Preferred Work Location: Select your desired work area, such as “Queenstown,” to narrow down job listings.
- Explore Job Listings: Browse through job listings from various employers, reviewing location, job category, work type, and hourly rate.
- Review Job Offers: Check for job perks, such as hourly rates, training, team dynamics, and benefits.
- Check Job Requirements: Ensure you meet the job qualifications and possess the right to work in New Zealand.
- Apply for the Job: Click on “Quick Apply,” upload your resume, and write a cover letter highlighting your suitability.
- Review and Submit: Double-check your application for errors, provide personal details including address, and select your privacy settings.
- Adjust Privacy Settings: Choose between “Standard” and “Limited” privacy settings for employer interactions.
- Submit Your Application: Click “Submit Application” to send your details to the employer.
- Explore Recommended Employers: Utilize the app’s feature for daily recommendations, ensuring a constant stream of job options.
1. Utilize the Search Feature:
Within the Seek Job NZ app, you’ll find a powerful search feature that enables you to look for specific job opportunities. For instance, if you’re interested in a housekeeping role, simply enter “housekeeping” in the search bar. The app will then provide recommendations, such as the position of a “Room Attendant.”
2. Select Your Preferred Work Area:
Next, you can refine your job search by selecting your preferred work location. For example, if you’re interested in working in Queenstown, as demonstrated in the video, you can choose that area. The app will then display relevant job listings. In the video, an impressive 37 job listings appeared for Queenstown.
3. Explore Job Listings and Employers:
Once you’ve narrowed down your search, you can explore job listings from various employers. In the video, “AHS Hospitality” was seeking Room Attendants in Queenstown. The job listing provides essential details such as location, job category (e.g., hospitality and tourism), work type (e.g., part-time), and the hourly rate (in this case, 25 AUD).
4. Review Job Offers and Perks:
Each job listing also highlights the benefits and perks offered by the employer. For example, the listing may include an hourly rate of $25, paid training and development, the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team, discounts on private health insurance, and access to shopping discounts. The video emphasized that this particular employer consistently offers 30 hours of work per week.
5. Check Job Requirements:
It’s crucial to review the job requirements before applying. Ensure you meet the qualifications, such as a high standard of cleanliness, teamwork, good communication skills, and the ability to work efficiently. Most importantly, note that applicants must have the right to work in New Zealand, with full work rights preferred.
6. Apply for the Job:
Once you’ve determined that the job suits you, you can click on “Quick Apply.” Since you’ve already filled out your qualifications and educational background, in the “Quick Apply” section, you can simply upload your resume and write a cover letter. The cover letter should introduce yourself, explain why you’re suitable for the role, and emphasize relevant skills and qualifications.
7. Review and Submit:
Before submitting your application, take a moment to review it for any errors or missing information. You’ll then need to provide your personal details, including your name, email, phone number, and home address. Including your address is essential, as it signals to the employer that you’re from outside the country.
8. Adjust Privacy Settings:
Lastly, consider your privacy settings. Seek Job NZ offers two options: “Standard” and “Limited.” Choosing “Standard” allows employers to view your profile and resume and contact you directly or via Seek. “Limited” means that employers can view your profile but not your resume and can only contact you via Seek.
9. Submit Your Application:
Once everything is in order, click “Submit Application.” You’ll receive a confirmation message, such as “Nice one,” followed by your name. It will inform you that your application has been sent to the specified employer, in this case, AHS Hospitality.
10. Explore Recommended Employers:
Seekjob NZ also provides a valuable feature of recommending employers. As demonstrated in the video, the app recommended 50 employers. These recommendations are updated daily, ensuring you have a constant stream of job options.
Tips for Using Seekjob NZ
- Create a strong profile: Your profile is the first thing that employers will see when they are reviewing your application. Make sure that your profile is complete and up-to-date, and that it highlights your skills and experience.
- Search for jobs regularly: New jobs are posted to Seekjob NZ every day. Make sure that you are searching for jobs regularly so that you don’t miss out on any opportunities.
- Tailor your resume to each job: When you apply for a job, take the time to tailor your resume to the specific job opening. This will show the employer that you are interested in the job and that you have the skills and experience that they are looking for.
- Follow up with employers: After you have applied for a job, be sure to follow up with the employer within a week. You can send a thank-you email or call the employer to inquire about the status of your application.
- Utilize Advanced Search Filters: Seekjob NZ offers advanced search filters, allowing you to refine your job search further. You can filter by industry, salary range, job type, and more to find precisely what you’re looking for.
- Set Up Job Alerts: Don’t rely solely on manual searches. Set up job alerts with your preferred criteria, and Seekjob NZ will notify you via email when new jobs matching your preferences are posted.
- Expand Your Skillset: Invest in continuous learning and skill development. Seekjob NZ offers insights into in-demand skills. Consider upskilling or obtaining relevant certifications to increase your competitiveness.
- Network with Recruiters: Seekjob NZ often connects job seekers with recruiters. Take advantage of these opportunities to network with professionals who can help you find the right job fit.
- Join Online Communities: Seekjob NZ may have online communities or forums where job seekers share experiences and insights. Participate in these communities to gain valuable advice and support from peers.
Seek Job NZ presents an invaluable gateway for Filipinos and job seekers worldwide to embark on a promising career journey in New Zealand. As we’ve explored throughout this article, the platform offers a vast and diverse array of job opportunities, comprehensive resources, and user-friendly features designed to empower applicants.
For Filipinos aspiring to work in New Zealand, Seek Job NZ simplifies the job search process, making it accessible and efficient. By following the steps outlined here, crafting a strong profile, and implementing the proven strategies, you can position yourself for success in the competitive job market of New Zealand.
Remember, your journey doesn’t end with submitting applications. Continuously refine your skills, stay informed about industry trends, and build connections within the Seek Job NZ community and with potential employers. With perseverance, adaptability, and the right tool in Seek Job NZ, Filipinos can confidently take the first step towards fulfilling their career aspirations in the Land of the Long White Cloud. Your future in New Zealand awaits, and Seek Job NZ is your trusted companion on this exciting path.