For many Filipinos, the road to good education is often paved with circumstantial challenges, either in the form of financial constraints, lack of opportunities, or even family conflicts.
The same can be said even for OFW families, whose family member(s) may already be earning enough to support their family’s basic necessities, but not enough to send a child/the children to a prestigious university later on in their young life. However, not all is lost, because the government offers a number of opportunities to well-deserved students who have a dream and hope to realize them one day through their talent, hard work, and sheer determination.
[Guide] What You Need to Know About the DOST 2020 Scholarship Programme
It is for this reason that the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) has announced that it is now accepting applications for the 2020 undergraduate scholarship program.
Grade 12 students who wish to pursue degrees in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), as well as non-STEM students who belong to the top 5% of their graduating class, are also welcome to apply.
Applications for the scholarship programme must be submitted and acknowledged by the DOST on or before September 6, 2019. Meanwhile, the nationwide examination will be held on October 20, 2019.
For those interested to apply for the 2020 programme, here are the following requirements that you need to provide:
- Personal Information (Form A of the application form); Application forms may be downloaded from the DOST website. Be sure to fill out all fields on the form and attach a 1×1 photo of the applicant on the upper right-hand corner of the front page.
- Household Information Questionnaire (exclusive to RA 7687 Applicants only) The RA 7687, also known as the “Science and Technology Scholarship Act of 1994”, provides for scholarships to talented and deserving students whose families’ socio-economic status do not exceed the set cut-off values of certain
- Certificate of Good Moral Character (Form C of the application form)
- Certification of Good Health (Form D of the application form)
- Principal’s Certification (Form E1 of the application form and for applicants from the STEM strand)
- Principal’s Certification (Form E2 of the application form and for applicants from the NON-STEM strand)
- Certificate of Residency (Form F of the application form and for RA 7687 applicants only)
- Parents’ Certification (Form G of the application form and must have no pending application for immigration).
- Applicant’s Certification (Form H of the application form).
- Signed Declaration by Applicant and the Parents/Legal Guardian (Form I of the application form).
- Photocopy of PSA birth certificate of the applicant.
- Parent/s 2018 Income Tax Return /W2/Employment Contract for OFW/BIR Certificate of Exemption for filing of ITR/Municipal or Barangay Certificate of Indigency (for RA 7687 Applicants only).
- Electric Bills for 3 consecutive months in 2019 (for RA 7687 Applicants only).
- Affidavit of Guardianship (if with legal guardian)
- Certificate of scholarship in high school (if applicable)
- High School statement of account (if applicable)
Eligibility for application for the scholarship grant:
- The applicant must be a natural-born Filipino citizen;
- The student must meet the qualification for RA 7687: poor, talented, and deserving and belongs to a family whose socio-economic status does not exceed the set values of certain indicators;
- Member of the STEM strand senior high school graduating class, or a member of the top 5% of the Non-STEM strand senior high school graduating class;
- A resident of the municipality for the last 4 years as attested by the barangay chairman;
- Of good moral character and in good health; and a qualifier of the 2020 S&T Scholarship Examination.
The Application Process:
- Download a copy of the application form for the scholarship programme via the DOST website.
- Complete the application form and comply with the requirements set for the programme.
- You may submit the accomplished form at the Science Education Institute or DOST Regional Office/PSTC nearest the applicant’s school or home address. Be sure to submit your application on or before September 6, 2019.
- Wait for the notification from the DOST scholarship approval committee, and prepare to take the examination on October 20, 2019.
For more details on the DOST scholarship, you may check with their website or contact their office numbers at (02) 839-0083, (02) 837-1333, or (02) 837-2071 local 2382.
To all the applicants for the programme, we wish you the best and hope that you make the most of this opportunity regardless of the outcome.
ALSO READ: Duterte Signs 4-Year Technical Education & Skills Dev’t Plan