Chidren and dependents of OFWs can take advantage of the scholarship program provided by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). Here are some details on qualifications and requirements how you can apply.
Many overseas Filipino workers work abroad to earn money so they can make a living and support their children financially, also make sure to provide sufficient money for their education. Sometimes, we face circumstances where we have to decide in compromising our food on the table just to pay those tuition fees at school.
Also Read: How to Get OFW iDOLE card
Luckily, there are options an OFW can take advantage of, like benefiting the scholarship program provided by OWWA. A scholarship program will grant beneficiaries/dependents of active OWWA members who intend to enroll and finish a 4-5 year baccalaureate course in any preferred colleges/universities.
The Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) The scholarship program will be in a the form of financial assistance amounting to a maximum of 60, 000 pesos per school year.
How to Get a Scholarship from OWWA for Children of OFWs
- The scholarship grant can be applied to an active OWWA member, once per family
- The dependent applicant must not have any other active scholarship
- The dependent-applicant has not previously taken the EDSP qualifying examination and any post-secondary/vocational or undergraduate/college units
- The member-OFW must have an active membership with OWWA at the time of the application
- The dependent-applicant must not be more than 21 years of age
- The dependent-applicant must have an average grade of at least 80% and belongs to the upper 20% of the 3rd year/high school graduating class
- The dependent-applicant must pass the qualifying examination conducted by DOST and belongs to the top 200 examination passer
- The dependent-applicant must pass the College Admission Test of the university he/she intends to enroll
- Accomplished EDSP Application Form (2 copies)
- 2×2 ID Photos (2 copies)
- Birth Certificate authenticated by PSA
- Certificate of Good Moral Character
- Form 137 for incoming first year college or Transcript of Records or Certificate of Grades for those already enrolled in college
- Certification from the principal that the applicant obtained a general weighted average (GWA) of 80% and that he/she belongs to the top 20% of the graduating class
- Filing of application starts every June of each school year. Deadline for submission of application is every first week of August of each year or as prescribed by ROCS based on the scheduled qualifying exam conducted by DOST
- An applicant must be 4th year high school student and belongs to the graduating class at the time of the application
- Application with incomplete documentary requirements will not be accepted
- Applications are subject for review and further verification as to the documentary requirements submitted
- Application approval only identifies applicants who are qualified to take the national competitive exam conducted by DOST. Examinees who belong to the top 200 passers will qualify for the scholarship
For more details, you can visit the website of OWWA here – http://www.owwa.gov.ph