Paying for your Meralco bill during this pandemic could be tough, but it can be easier by using GCash. Unlike other utility bills, Meralco needs information on both the unique Meralco Reference Number (MRN) and Total Current Amount (TCA) to process payments.
- Options for paying the Meralco bill via GCash
- How to pay your Meralco bills via GCash App
- Things to remember when paying your Meralco bills via GCash App
- Frequently Asked Questions
- When paying in installments, can I divide my total bill to 4 months or 6 months?
- If I wish to pay the full amount stated in the IPA letter, can I pay via GCash?
- Can I use an MRN from my previous bill to pay my current bill?
- I haven’t received my current billing statement yet. Can I do an advance payment and just estimate the amount I wish to pay?
- Can I use my latest bill’s MRN and pay the total amount due including pending previous bill amount?
- Is there any fees charged when I pay my Meralco bill via GCash?
- Can I pay for overdue bills via GCash?
- If I did not receive my previous bills or if my previous bill is already past due, can I get a Meralco Reference Number and Total Current Amount?
Options for paying the Meralco bill via GCash
When settling your Meralco bill via GCash, there are two available options for you:
Option 1: Full payment
This refers to the option to pay in full the amount stated on your bill as the Total Current Amount (TCA). If you are having trouble finding it, you can look on the left side of your billing statement page. You also need the Meralco Reference Number (MRN) found at the bottom of your billing statement page.
Option 2: Installment
If you cannot pay in full, then you might be interested to know that there is an option to pay in installments. Meralco is offering an Installment Payment Arrangement (IPA) to help out their consumers with their financial challenges during the pandemic, including any unpaid March to May bills.
If you wish to do this, you can start by checking the Installment Payment Arrangement (IPA) page or letter which comes with the bill sent by Meralco. You should see a specified amount you will need to pay on the IPA page. Just like in the full payment option, you will also need the MRN, but you need the one specified on the IPA page instead of the one on billing statement.
Note that there are a few things you need to remember when paying in installment:
- Installments could be 4 months or 6 months depending on your consumption.
- IPA and MRN may change every month, so you will need to always check your Meralco billing statements and IPA letters for proper reference before paying via GCash.
How to pay your Meralco bills via GCash App
The GCash App transforms your smartphone into a virtual wallet that you can use to access many services including bills payment for Meralco.
To do so, here are the steps that you need to follow:
1: After logging in on the GCash App, tap on PAY BILLS.
2: Choose ELECTRIC UTILITIES.
3: Find and select the biller (Meralco) that you intend to pay.
4: Enter the required details, including the unique MRN and correct TCA or Installment amount, then click NEXT.
5: Check that you have entered the correct MRN and tap CONFIRM.
Things to remember when paying your Meralco bills via GCash App
- Always check the MRN (Meralco Reference Number) before processing each payment.
- Ensure that you have the correct Total Current Amount (TCA) when paying for the full bill, or the correct MRN and Installment Amount from the IPA page/letter when paying in installment.
- Do not use the MRN from past due statements as it may be invalid, resulting in transaction rejection or posting concern.
- Make sure you do not use the Total Amount Due at the bottom right part of the bill page. It may include the amount from the previous bill and it would not match the assigned MRN.
- Do not round off or change any digit of the Total Current Amount (including the cents) as this may cause payment rejection since the MRN only detects the exact amount on the current billing cycle.
Frequently Asked Questions
When paying in installments, can I divide my total bill to 4 months or 6 months?
No. Dividing the total bill is not the right way to calculate installment fees. Instead, please refer to the IPA letter or page for the amount and unique MRN.
If I wish to pay the full amount stated in the IPA letter, can I pay via GCash?
Yes, you can check the main billing statement page and pay the amount stated in Total Current Amount (TCA) using the Meralco Reference Number (MRN) at the bottom of the billing page.
Can I use an MRN from my previous bill to pay my current bill?
No. The previous bill’s MRN has already expired and each statement of account (SOA) is assigned a unique MRN associated with only the current month’s billing details and total amount. The MRN on each specific bill is unique and it changes every month so using the previous or expired MRN regardless if paying your current or previous bill would result in a rejected transaction.
I haven’t received my current billing statement yet. Can I do an advance payment and just estimate the amount I wish to pay?
Without an updated MRN and TCA, any payment, including an estimated advance payment, may risk your transaction being rejected or cause posting concern. Each statement of account (SOA) has a unique MRN that can only be used to pay the current month’s bills.
Can I use my latest bill’s MRN and pay the total amount due including pending previous bill amount?
No. The MRN of your current bill only cover the current billing cycle’s amount incurred and not the previous one. As such, it it impossible to pay for both the current and the previous bills via the GCash app. If you wish to settle it in full, then please visit the nearest Meralco Business Center.
Is there any fees charged when I pay my Meralco bill via GCash?
Paying bills via GCash are different for every billers. There are some who charges fixed fees ranging from Php0 to Php60. Others charge percentage-based fees which usually starts at 2%.
Can I pay for overdue bills via GCash?
Yes. You can pay for overdue bills via the GCash app. Do note that this only applies for bills with no disconnection notice yet. Once a disconnection notice arrives, the MRN is invalidated and can no longer be used on GCash.
Note that it may take up to 3 working days for payments to post for some billers, so pay at your own discretion.
If I did not receive my previous bills or if my previous bill is already past due, can I get a Meralco Reference Number and Total Current Amount?
Yes. You may request for a manual generation of updated MRN of your previous bill. You may also inquire on the Total Current Amount for GCash payments through any of the following:
- By calling the Meralco Customer Hotline (16211);
- By sending an email to Meralco (email@example.com); or
- By sending a message to Meralco’s Facebook (Meralco) or Twitter (@Meralco) accounts.
Note that newly-generated MRN also expires 13 days from date of issuance by Meralco support.