The Overseas Workers Welfare Association (OWWA) has already released funds amounting to a total of P26 million to 10,512 long-time members under the OWWA Rebate Program, says OWWA Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac. With the OWWA rebate portal now live, we have listed a step-by-step procedure that OWWA members can take to check for eligibility and claim their rebates:
The rebate was necessitated by the Republic Act 10801, otherwise known as the OWWA Act of 2016, which was meant to institutionalize and strengthen the wide range of services and benefits for Filipino migrant workers. The rebate program is funded by the $25 OWWA membership fee collected from both land-based and sea-based OFWs every two years.
OFWs who have been OWWA members for at least 10 years with five or more contributions as of December 31, 2017, and have never taken advantage of any OWWA program are qualified to get a rebate.
Those who qualified for the rebate program can receive P941.25 to up to P13, 177.50, depending on the number of contributions. This compuation was based on an actuarial study commissioned by OWWA which determined the capability of the OWWA Fund. Data from the actuarial study allowed for a total of P1 billion to be earmarked for distribution to the 556,000 beneficiaries of the program per OWWA database. A total of P2 billion is also alloted for release to the next batches of qualified OWWA members.
Rebate release has already started but in an effort facilitate its distribution to the qualified members, OWWA opened the OWWA Rebate Portal, an online system for OFWs to verify their eligibility and set appointment to visit the nearest OWWA office. The portal was opened on September 1st.
How to apply for the OWWA Rebate Program?
- First, visit www.owwa.gov.ph, then click on the OWWA Rebate Program banner. Another way is to visit the OWWA Rebate Verification Form at http://rebate.owwa.gov.ph/.
- Fill out the form and confirm you are eligible to receive the rebate. If you are eligible based on your entered data, you will see the rebate amount displayed on screen.
- Reserve an appointment by picking the date, time and office where you can claim your rebate. Upon confirmation you will receive an appointment code via SMS on your nominated mobile phone.
- On the day of appointment, show your appointment code sent as text message on your mobile phone.
- Share your bank account where the OWWA rebate will be credited.